For anyone following the WAN optimization market, Silver Peak’s growth is undeniable and unavoidable. We recently closed our fiscal second quarter as the fastest growing WAN optimization company based on increased customer adoption, rapid international expansion, a growing channel partner program, aggressive hiring, and positive industry analyst feedback. Our rapid growth is fueled by more applications and IT initiatives converging in the data center, and ultimately, demand for “data center class” WAN optimization to enable IT initiatives such as disaster recovery, application centralization, cloud computing, data center consolidation, and virtual desktop infrastructures (VDI).
IT departments and network managers can no longer check the box for every application they want to run. It’s about being application agnostic and optimizing the network for all applications. This has led Silver Peak to become the trusted WAN optimization solution for countless IT organizations that want to spend less and move more data across further distances—whether between data centers, or between data centers and branch offices.
Silver Peak milestones in the quarter included:
- New Customer Adoption—During the quarter, Silver Peak signed new customers around the globe including: Biotronik (Germany), The Delta Group, Enercon, Junto Telecom (Brasil), Kronos, LFoundry (Germany), Nebraska Heart Institute, NetLogic Microsystems, Telekom Malaysia, and many others.
- Broad International Expansion—Silver Peak expanded its business into new geographies during the quarter. Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) operations expanded with a new regional headquarters in Munich, Germany; new offices in France and the Netherlands; and new sales, marketing, and support personnel in the United Kingdom. An Asia Pacific regional headquarters was opened in Singapore to support teams in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan; and new offices were opened in Sydney and Melbourne to support teams in Australia and New Zealand.
- Worldwide Channel Growth—In the quarter, Silver Peak also grew its channel partner program by expanding its relationship with Exclusive Networks beyond Southern Europe to also cover Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg (BENELUX) and the Nordics. In addition, Silver Peak signed Orchestra and Data Request to complement Silver Peak’s existing relationship with Sysob for coverage in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. Silver Peak also grew its North American channel partner base by signing on new partners that include Accuvant, Bear Data, Accudata Systems, Accunet Solutions, Hartford Consulting Group, NetFast Communications, Philotek, and Network Computing Architects.
- Extended Strategic Data Center Partnerships—Augmenting existing partnerships with Dell, Hitachi Data Systems, and EMC, Silver Peak joined the HP AllianceONE partner program and achieved “Network Specialization” partner status. The company also joined Avaya on their launch of the Avaya Virtual Enterprise Network Architecture (Avaya VENA), allowing organizations to more easily optimize applications and service deployments in and between data centers and campuses. Silver Peak was also a co-founder of the VDI coalition in the quarter.
- A Visionary in Gartner Magic Quadrant—Silver Peak was named a “Visionary” in the Gartner 2010 “Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers.” (Gartner, Inc. Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers, Severine Real, Andy Rolfe, Joe Skorupa, December 23, 2010.)
- First Data Center Class Virtual WAN Optimization appliance—Silver Peak announced a milestone in the quarter by introducing the Silver Peak VRX-8 virtual WAN optimization appliance, which is the industry’s first data center class virtual WAN optimization appliance that delivers 20 times more throughput than any other virtual WAN optimization appliance.